Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Thank You" is not enough

Tomorrow I will have the opportunity to do something really cool: I am having lunch with the doctor who made the critical decisions almost 20 years ago that ended up saving my life. What on Earth do I even say?! The words "thank you" seem so inferior, so useless. You say thank you when someone holds the door open for you. You say thank you when a friend notices you were about to leave your jacket on the back of a chair at a restaurant. Thank you seems like almost nothing when you're thanking someone for making important choices that result in giving you the opportunity to LIVE. She may have just been "doing her job", but it deserves a lot more than just a "thank you".

I had mentioned a few years back that I wanted to meet Dr. M. I had never met her (except for obviously when I was a newborn) and she was such a crucial person in my survival that I really wanted to at least say hello. My mom made contact with her and we were all free tomorrow (Thursday) for lunch! I'm a little nervous, but mostly excited! Even though I don't feel like a "thank you" is nearly enough, I'm hoping that the fact that I took the life that she saved and have done something with it will be a greater "thank you" than I could ever say. The fact that I didn't waste the life she saved, and have taken care of the body she fought to rescue, will mean more to her than two simple words. After all, it is the goal of her job!

I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck! :]

-Annie

No comments: