Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Monday, October 5, 2009

Nasal Vaccines

I heard a rumor awhile back that if someone gets the Nasal Vaccines for the flu/swine flu, that I (as a CF patient) cannot come in contact with them for ~2 weeks due to a risk of getting to flu. I know I'm not "allowed" to get the Nasal Vaccines myself, but I can't find evidence of the risk of getting it from someone else.

This is the best I've found so far:
"Can people receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) pass the vaccine viruses to others?

In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely. The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%). Because the viruses are weakened, infection is unlikely to result in influenza illness symptoms since the vaccine viruses have not been shown to mutate into typical or naturally occurring influenza viruses."

Source


Maybe Ronnie or CG can help me out on this?


Needless to say, I've gotten the regular flu shot and will be getting the H1N1 shot ASAP. But I'm just worried about everyone else putting me at a higher risk than I should be at.


-Annie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't heard any expression of concern from anybody from the CFF regarding this issue, but you bring up an interesting point. I'll do some research and see if I can uncover anything.

Ronnie

Unknown said...

Vaccines, by the very nature that they are made, are non-infectious. Period. When people have symptoms after getting a vaccine ("I got the flu after I got my flu shot"), it is a reaction to the base of the vaccine, not the truncated virus IN the vaccine that they are reacting to.

Anjea