Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Don't make me laugh... my abs hurt...

My facebook status yesterday was:

isn't it funny how a mile doesn't feel like a mile when you're running with a friend talking about the good ole days?


God answers prayers, my friends. As of late, I've been struggling with the fact that this great athlete (me) now can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. That dramatic drop in breathing ability happened over just a few short months and took me by surprise. I ignored it. I told myself I was still the great athlete that I've always been. Occasionally, reality would hit me and I would cry. I have pride issues in some areas of my life, and this one was going to shorten my life if I didn't get a hold of it. The boyfriend would beg me to go workout with him and a friend of his, but I would always turn him down. "I can't. And I can't handle the fact that I can't. So I won't."

The other day I knew enough was enough. So I got the number of the oh-so-famous Ronnie Sharpe (see his RunSickboyRun blog here). Ronnie, to sum up, is a guy with CF who took control of his life by lots of exercise and discipline. I knew that if anyone could help me, he could. Even though I got his voicemail, just calling helped me because by calling him, I knew I actually wanted to help myself. So I did.

Last night I went to the campus gym with the boyfriend and his friend. Now, I really really really don't like running. But I knew it was the best thing. So I walk up the stairs to the indoor track and right as I'm about to run.... I hear a familiar voice. "Hey Annie!" Already on the track is a who I have known literally my entire life and have played soccer with her almost my entire soccer career. We started together on my mom's soccer team in the 4-year-old's league and ended up crying together when we lost in playoffs during her senior year (my junior year) of high school soccer. So seeing her on the track when I got there and her asking if I wanted to run with her, I knew God had answered my prayers.

As much as I don't like running, multiply that by 10 and that's how much I don't like running by myself. We took a walking lap around the track to stretch out my legs and then we ran. How far? Not sure. I do know it was over a mile though. After she left, I did sprints and other stuff. Then I did leg, arm, and ab workouts with the boyfriend and his friend. It felt really good. :]

Thanks to all... the boyfriend, the friend on the track, and also to you Ronnie.

-Andrea

No comments: