Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Thursday, November 27, 2008

PICC vs. Pliers

Wow. Scary and funny at the same time. So at the end of the PICC line is a screw-like apparatus where a syringe or antibiotic dispenser are able to screw on to it. This is a normal thing. What's NOT normal is not being able to UNSCREW it after the antibiotic dosage is over... and that's what just happened here.

My mom hooked on the antibiotic tubing at 10:30. 11:30 rolls around and the antibiotic is done. I'm sitting in the spare bedroom working an online crossword puzzle. "Mom, what's a 3-letter word for 'Ill-mannered irresponsible man'?" "'Man'?" "Tried it, no. Guess again..." While I was thinking, she's trying to unhook the tubing from my arm, without much luck. This is not really that unusual seeing as my mom has arthritis troubles and has sore hands and wrists sometimes. So I try. Nope. Hmm... we keep trying but still no luck. Time to wake the man of the family, but even HE can't unscrew it. "That means it's time to get out the pliers." EXCUSE ME?! Pliers twisting on a piece of plastic that is attached to tubing going into my artery? Haha good one Dad....."

Not a joke. He comes back with those shiny, metal pliers and my eyes widen. I foresaw horrific images of awful tugs and my PICC line coming out. But Dad was very careful and got it off successfully. WHEW....

So that was my excitement that I could have gone without. And that explains my adrenaline rush and the reason I'm still up at 12:11 on Thanksgiving morning.

Yum Turkey-Day! Let's hope I have an appetite later today and can actually eat something. I do love Thanksgiving...

But for now, sleep.

-Andrea

P.S.: The word on the crossword puzzle was "cad." *shrugs*

No comments: