Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Friday, August 19, 2011

Hospital Days- with some pictures!

Well these last few days sure have been eventful! Let's recap:

Wednesday, August 17, 2011
I was admitted on Wednesday and immediately had a peripheral IV put in my left arm. I was later started on the doses of my 3 antibiotics: Tobramyacin, Zyvox, and Fortaz (I'm mostly sure on these spellings!!). They are taken every 24 hours, 12 hours, and 8 hours, respectively. (6am, 8am, 2pm, 6pm, 8pm and 10pm) Oh boy am I going to be busy when I get home taking care of all of this! Other than getting moved in and settled, Wednesday was pretty quiet. Oh, I did have a chest X-ray taken too. I mentioned before that one major difference is the care that the RTs take with each patient doing treatment and hand CPT 3 times a day. So I spent my evening treatment being tag-teamed by two RTs beating me, and while I'm not yet again really used to hand CPT, it went well.

(The peripheral)

Thursday, August 18, 2011
Rise and shine at 4am thanks to a youngin' across the hall very unhappy about something. Did I mention I love being on the ped's floor?? No I really do, but that's the one downside... screaming babies!! Oh well. It's a small price to pay. I slept poorly until 5:30 when a familiar face walks in my door for morning CPT! Remember Gaelin, my friend from middle school, high school, and my freshman year roommate? Her brother-in-law is an RT up at this hospital so he came to visit/beat on me! It was quite a nice surprise and I was glad to see him. Around 9am, I was asked to move rooms! Turns out I was placed in the only available room that day and it has special equipment, so they like to keep that room open when possible. Mom had to work out of town on Thursday, so I thought I was going to be alone most of the day... boy was I wrong! Visitor after visitor after visitor! It was a ton of fun. Bad part of the day? Getting my PICC placed. It was so much simpler at the other hospital that I was spoiled! Here, I was a wreck. And post-PICC placement, I had to have a chest X-Ray again to check the placement. I was sick in that room due to stress, anxiety from the PICC procedure, and not eating enough that day. Luckily, I had one of my best friends waiting for me in my room when I got back. The right visitor will do wonders.... I also had a 3rd year med student drop by, an old friend too! He just happened to be doing his ped's rotation this week.
We were hoping that by my evening antibiotic doses, the radiology department would have been able to review my x-rays and I could have used the PICC, but the server was down (ahh, the digital age...) and so I had to use the peripheral again. It hurt, a lot. My veins were screaming, but with a little help from a friend, I made it through another dose. The late evening brought good news of using the PICC, so they flushed it and pulled my peripheral (YES!). I slept much better last night.

(the PICC)

Friday, August 19, 2011
I was awakened at 5:30 again by my same friend RT for my morning treatment. 6am meant antibiotics, but since I was using the PICC, it didn't hurt very much. Today has been very lazy and quiet, I've actually enjoyed it. After mom and I chatted with the case worker about getting home IVs set up, she went to work. I've spent the afternoon/early evening so far catching up on TV shows, writing this post (which is probably as long as my last several posts put together!), and veggin' out until my aunt gets here with my Buffalo Wild Wings dinner! No hospital food for me!!

My PICC pull date is set for Sept. 1 assuming my Tobra levels are good. They took the trough level at 2 and the peak level will be taken at 9. Prayers for the right numbers so I can go home on Monday! I miss my puppy and my house, even though I'll do there what I've been doing here: nothing. I'd rather do nothing at my house than at a hospital. Although I will say, as hospital experiences have gone, this one has been pretty smooth, and I'm so grateful.

Have any of you had the PICC with the two ports before? What's the point? Everyone I've asked just tells me "It's the exact same as the single one" so why the extra hardware? Just curious.

I'll keep you updated!

No comments: