Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Friday, March 11, 2011

Body talk

So as of late I've become more aware of my body shape/size compared to my peers. It helps that other people like to comment on it too. Don't take me as vain, I'm not, but it's nice knowing that my good and bad genes are working together to create something that isn't half bad!

I'm the friend my friends like to dress up. Seriously. I'm the Barbie of some of my friends. It's actually really fun though. I'm the size of most mannequins, seeing as I like to take the clothes off of the mannequins and buy them! I'm thin, not too thin, and actually have some shape and character to my body. I'm not a twig (anymore). Finally, FINALLY, I like my body.

The only thing I don't like is my lack of muscle tone, but guess who just started doing circuit training again!! Oh yeah, I'm getting those legs back. Can't wait.

However recently I had a bump in the road. I went to a store, that shall remain publicly nameless, to find a dress for meetings. I found a really cute one, grabbed the small, and went to try it on. It was way too small for me. It also came with a belt that wrapped around the smallest part of the waist: I couldn't clasp it.

Hear me out: I'm a size 3 and couldn't fit into a SMALL at a normal store that I have bought clothes from before. I was livid and gave the store a piece of my mind. I didn't fuss at the employees, it's not their fault, but I stood outside of the store and fussed to the general store opening. Pathetic, maybe, but think about it for a second: if I was a "normal" 20 year old girl, I might have serious body image issues and might feel I'm too fat, since I can't fit into a small, despite the fact that I'm a size 3. It's moments like those that feed the body image problems of anorexic girls. Touchy subject, but it is a REAL subject and a REAL problem. And putting me, and girls my size, into a medium dress may not sound like a big deal, but even I was embarrassed for myself. It took me a minute to come back to reality (that maybe the dress was shaped different that I am, that maybe it was labelled wrong, that maybe it was just that style of dress, etc.) but that minute was long enough to hurt my feelings! And I'm TRYING to get fat!! Just think, for just a moment, how if that scenario can mess with MY head, how much damage it can do to a young lady's mind who already has body issues. Yeah, now we're on the same page.

Enough body talk for now.

Have a great day. :]
It's FRIDAY!
-Andrea

1 comment:

Jesse Petersen said...

Yeah, that really could mess someone up! Sizing is opposite for guys, too. Everything is designed to make us feel bigger, but it just makes me feel small.

I like to look nice, which means going to the men's section for shoes, jeans that have pockets large enough to hold a wallet, and shirts that scream "successful entrepreneur." It's darn near impossible to find a men's small shirt that fits well if it's anything other than a t-shirt. Dress shirts have to be "fitted" or "athletic fit" to not be as wide around as my shoulders all the way down to my waist (my shoulders are about 40" and my waist is 29"). I've relented to going to the tailor for my pants and a couple of nice shirts. Don't get *me* started on finding a good selection of 29" waist and 29" inseam pants and jeans. Dockers are out of the question for me and I can pretty much only wear Levi's 529s.

All of this despite my BMI being where it's supposed to be and having an upside down triangle torso like men want.