Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Anatomy & Physiology II lab experience

Hey!

Sorry I haven't been posting too much lately. There really hasn't been much going on in my life, CF or otherwise. The lack of things to report in the CF world is a GOOD THING! I haven't been feeling 100%, but I can overlook that most of the time, especially with my good reports from the doctor!

Oh! I can tell you what happened yesterday in class! On Tuesdays, this quarter, all I have is my 8am Anatomy and Physiology lab II. We do things like dissect fetal pigs, look at cool slides on a microscope, and prick our fingers to test our own blood! I was really nervous about this, despite the numerous times I've had my finger pricked for CBCs. This would be the first time I've ever had to do it to myself. We were given the option of leaving the class if we thought we might pass out at the sight of blood or needles. While it crossed my mind to leave, I had one goal on my mind: learn my blood type. So I opted to stay and somehow get up the nerve to prick my own finger.

They provided us one of those spring-loaded needles that nurses use, which helped tremendously, but I still spent waaaay too long wiping my finger with an alcohol wipe and "milking" it prior to sticking it. It finally took my lab partner to say we were doing this together on the count of three, ready or not! "ONE.... TWO... are you ready...." "NO!!!" "Ok... THREE!!" *prick*

OWWWW. Please, pancreas, never give up completely. I really don't believe I can handle checking my blood sugar regularly. Despite the tiny prick, it HURT!

At first, nothing came out. I begged my finger to start bleeding so I wouldn't have to do this again. Then suddenly, it just started to gush out. I placed the drops on the test paper, more drops in a capillary tube, and a smear on a white paper. Done. Now I had a new problem: I can't get my finger to stop bleeding! The only thing I had to nearby to use to put pressure on it was an alcohol wipe and it hurt! After it was all said and done, I learned that I'm not anemic, I'm O+, and my hematocrit level is normal for an adult woman. Sweet! Except my finger has just now stopped hurting. It was bruised! I'm not fit to be a nurse. lol

Coming soon, the interview with Fatboy and his wife Beautiful!

-Andrea

No comments: