Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Recovery

Wow. Surgery Friday and here it is the Thursday after. Seeing as I slept most of this week away, I don't remember much. And what I do remember, mostly isn't pleasant. Thursday night, my arm was hurting from the PICC line so I took some Dilaudid. Little did I know I was allergic. Worst night of my life but glad I found out then instead of after surgery when they would have given me a much greater dose!!

Up until the last day or so, I've been dru.gged up on pain meds and nausea meds trying to manage both. I hardly ate, moved, or enjoyed my day. Basically, recovery was 100000x harder than I thought it would be. Because of all the meds, I didn't eat. Because I didn't eat, I felt sick. Because I felt sick, I wouldn't move nor eat. Etc etc etc. Parents and doctors both worried that I would catch pneumonia from just lying there all the time. But I would be very dizzy when I sat up, so I felt discouraged to move. It was a HORRIBLE recovery filled with pain, sickness, dizziness, overheating, and night sweats. One evening I even spiked a fever but sweated it out by the next hour.

But now I'm home after a week in the hospital. Here, I'm more inclined to walk around and eat, which in-turn quickens my recovery. I go back to the doctor on Monday to get the PICC taken out and then for my surgeon to "finish the job"...... Oh boy.

So far, the only difference I've noticed is my lack of tolerance for spicy foods. :[ That was my claim to fame! I won't feel 100% better until I go see my ENT again on Monday. I'll let ya know how that one goes...

Today I ate my first FULL meal since last Thursday (before surgery). YAY!

I'll keep updating as exciting things happen.

-Andrea

No comments: