Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 12:25-26

Monday, February 1, 2010

Today is already off...

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. Mondays can sometimes be really annoying, ya know?

Last night, I started TOBI up again. UGH. If you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan. I now do TOBI with a towel over my pillow so it doesn't leave those little stains. It really helped this morning. However, this Monday was unusual in a different way. Today, in biology, we were talking about genetics and the diseases. I looked ahead and OF COURSE, CF was in there. I've been bracing myself all week...

So this morning, I get up, do treatment, shower, and look up my two genes to make sure I have them down right. I'm running late, as usual, and rush out the door. All I can think about it the lecture. What is he going to say? Will I feel compelled to stand up and correct him? Will the class of roughly 100 now label me as the kid with "thick mucus in her lungs"?! Halfway to class, I realize that I've been so stressed and distracted, I left my backpack in my apartment. Great. But it's too late to go back, so I keep walking.

The lecture begins and we first touch on PKU, sickle cell anemia, and then finally CF. He tells the class to all be thankful we have thin mucus in our lungs, and then proceeds to discuss the biological problem. Very little else is touched on and the lecture continues.

After the class, I went to talk to him. It took him a few minutes to realize that I was saying that *I* had CF. Then his eyes widened and he instantly wanted to know more. So I told him which genes I had, the diet I had, about the Vest, about the treatments and medicines... he asked a few questions but listened more than anything, nodding his head regularly. At the end, as I was walking out the door, he said, "Take care of yourself... literally." "Yes sir. I always do."

He saw me outside later and asked my name. I am now, officially, the only person in that class he knows by name. Good or bad? Not sure. But since I'm a pretty good student, and I'll be taking another class with him next quarter, I'm thinking good.

But still. Ugh. Mondays.
-Annie

No comments: